Monday, June 18, 2012

[Music Monday] Does The Average Consumer Care About Legal, Digital Music?

Before I go on with this article, let me be clear - most references are anecdotal; I don't have a survey or research results to refer to. But I think this will ring true to most consumers of digital entertainment - not many of us, including me, think of the legal aspects of something we want to hear/view/play. Having worked in intellectual property based-industries for some time, I avoid pirated content and always try to find legal ways to get music, movies and software. Full disclosure - I've done my fair share of downloading and torrenting, and I often download TV shows that have not aired in Indonesia, and sometimes movies I missed watching in the cinema. I'm no saint.

I'll admit that I avoid illegal music and software, because I know what goes on behind the scenes and how they make their money. I also feel less guilty (but guilty nonetheless) about downloading TV and movies because I also know how they actually make their money (and outside of the cinema, it's based on upfront royalties, advertising revenue share, cable subscription share, and so on). I'll probably write more on that later... but here's the point: I happen to have insight into these industries. What of the average consumer who does not?

Read the rest of the post on Dailysocial.

No comments:

Post a Comment